Cancer League of Colorado's
22nd Annual Race For Research 5K Run/Walk
Sunday, August 19, 2018
In memory of Michele Plachy-Rubin
1700 E. Louisiana Ave.
How It Started
Michele Plachy-Rubin was a young wife, mother, and kindergarten teacher in the Denver Public Schools when she was diagnosed with brain cancer in December of 1996. The Race for Research was conceived by Michele's friends to raise money to fund local cancer research. Tragically, Michele lost her fight with cancer in May of 1998 but The Race for Research continues as an opportunity for men, women, and children to help fight cancer in Michele's memory.
While the race initially began in memory of Michelle, her mother, Sondra surprisingly was diagnosed with the same type of brain cancer which was not genetically related. Sondra has received treatment for the past 3 years and the race means a lot to her. Sondra adds, " What is amazing to me is that many of the drugs that helped me were not even available to Michelle 15 years ago. They were in trial. Drugs have changed, treatments have changed, and technologies have changed because of research. I never dreamed how important this race would mean to me personally." Cancer touches everyone. We all benefit from new treatments and approaches to cure or control cancer. Funds from Race for Research go directly to cancer research in right here in Colorado.
Cancer touches everyone. Innovative treatments and approaches to
Cancer League of Colorado was founded in 1969 by five women whose lives were affected by cancer. From their individual struggles grew a joint commitment to raise money for innovative cancer research and patient care within the state. This all-volunteer charity organization became Cancer League of Colorado. Since 1985, we have awarded over $10 million in research grants and cancer-related services.
Each year, funds are distributed for research grants and program services. Research grants are peer-reviewed by our Scientific Advisory Board. Generally, 85% of the monies raised are awarded for research grants; the remaining 15% are awarded to cancer-related program services.
Participants have ranged in age from one to eighty-one and have included doctors, nurses, teachers, families, runners, and walkers of all abilities, as well as Michele's friends and family. Everyone is welcome! Organizers of this year's Race for Research
After the Race, enjoy our Family Festival with pancake and sausage breakfast, Bristol Brewings Beer Graden, live entertainment, prize drawing, Kid Zone with kiddie train, clowns and games, and Sponsor Expo with free product samples.
Our event is pet-friendly. Well-behaved dogs on leashes are welcome. Dog water will be available at the on-course water stations, the Finishline and in the Beer garden.
The first 300 survivors to check in on race day will receive a Survivor Sticker!
How You Can Help
Here are some ways to increase your support for cancer research:
First, register for the race! Register today »
- Start a Team and sign up as many friends and family as you can. They can join you in the race or "Sleep in for Research."
- Take the challenge and set up a fundraising page when you register. You can raise funds as a team or individually and win great prizes.
- Donate and make a difference! Donate now »
- Honor someone's battle with cancer with a poster on Morton's Miracle Mile - cost $150. Click the Fundraising tab at the top for more information.
- Tell all your followers:
Join our winning team! Since its inception, The Race for Research has been an incredible success. Over the past 21years, Race for Research has raised over $1,200,000 thanks to thousands of racers and generous sponsors and donors!
Awards & Prizes
Largest Team -The team with the largest number of paid participants will be awarded the traveling team trophy.
Largest team Cancer League Membership - This new traveling trophy will be awarded to the largest team organized by a Cancer League member.
We will recognize the top three teams and the top three individuals who raise the highest donation amount for Cancer Research.
Trophies- The top 3 males and top 3 females, overall, will receive simulated bronze trophies designed by Niels Anderson.
Medals- The top male and female finisher for the 5K run in each of the age categories listed below will receive a special Race For Research medal.
12 and Under